Pecan Breakfast Bread
Pecan bread with a lightly spiced and citrus flavour, prefect for breakfast or a mid-morning snack
- 1¾ cups Whole wheat plain flour or try spelt or buckwheat flour
- 1 tsp Bbaking powder
- ½ tsp Bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp fine salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar try swapping half the sugar for xylitol or stevia
- 2 Oranges Zest and juice
- 6 tablespoons a light tasting vegetable oil such as rapeseed, grapeseed or sunflower oil
- ½ cup cold water
- ½ cup Pecan pieces can be swapped for chopped walnuts
Preheat your oven to 180c gas mark 4 and lightly oil a rectangular loaf pan.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and sugar. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the orange zest and juice, oil, and water. Add these wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir till they're just evenly combined (a few clumps are fine). Fold in pecan pieces. Pour the batter into your prepared loaf.
Bake the loaf for 35-40 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and set. Allow it to cool for 15 minutes before removing the loaf from the pan and transferring it to a wire rack. Allow it to cool to room temperature before slicing and serving.
this recipe comes from: