These are our top tips for eating to help you maintain a healthy diet and weight for life:
- Snacks – Always have snacks close by, this will help you make healthier choices, such as; Brazil’s nuts 2-3 a day; 8 Almonds; 4-6 Walnuts, Small tins of fish (i.e sardines, mackerel, salmon, tuna, crab, all in oil or spring water); 1 Carrot; ½ pepper; Fruit (i.e.1 Apple; 1 Pear; 1 Orange; 1 Banana and other fruits but no more than two portions a day as fruit contains a lot of sugar). Why not make your own snacks check-out our snack recipes page for healthy and easy to make home-made snacks.
- Protein – Have protein with all your meals, protein keeps you fuller for longer.
- Protein at Breakfast – Try including protein with healthy fat sources in your breakfast such as; 1 teaspoon peanut butter with no added sugar; 1 teaspoon of mixed seeds; 2 eggs (max. 6 eggs per week) or 1 small avocado, see our recipes page for great breakfast and brunch ideas.
- Limit Carbohydrates – Only eat carbohydrates (i.e. Oats, bread, rice, potatoes etc.) two times a week at most and don’t double up your carbs in one sitting (i.e. rice and naan bread); too many cabs will be stored in your body as fat.
- Milk – Try reducing the amount of animal milk you drink, you could try plant sourced milks occasionally or change it just for part of the day i.e. breakfast. When using plant based milks watch out for added sugars, opt for unsweetened versions.
- Drinks – Drinking tea and coffee is fine however switching every other cup for a green tea, or hot water with lemon as well as drinking 2 to 4 glasses of water a day (more if you are exercising) will help digestion and keep you hydrated and feeling refreshed.
- Planning – Plan your meals and eat the same meal more than once, cook up a batch for 3-5 days this will stop you rummaging in the cupboards and deciding on what you fancy and therefore you cannot make an impulsive and potentially unhealthy choice.
- Dining Out – Research restaurants ahead of time: Whether you’re traveling or have dinner plans with friends, do your research ahead of time and look up the menu online, this way, you can make an informed decision about the healthiest options available before hand and make a less impulsive choice that will keep you on track. Also try eating protein 1 hour before you go out, like a small handful of nuts or a boiled egg so you are not so hungry and therefore more likely to eat less.
There is plenty more helpful and simple advice in the Healthy Living Guide to help you look and feel amazing;
Visit our healthy living, “Mindfulness and Positive Thinking” pages for more great advice of how to keep focused and inspired to achieve everything in life, personal success, weight control success and much more.
In our “Exercise and Weight Management” pages we have exercise videos, tips and ideas to help you stay fit and healthy.